Your catalytic converter is a crucial component of your car—controlling emissions and improving its performance! Unfortunately, it is also a prime target for thieves.
Catalytic converter theft is on the rise, but never fear—Schulz Garage is here to tell you how to protect your precious converter! The better you secure and maintain it, the more healthy both your car and the planet will be.
Why would someone steal such an essential part of your emissions control system? Good question! Maybe they want to watch the ozone burn. More likely, though, they just want to make a quick buck.
Certain metals that catalytic converters are made with can be sold at a high price, making them an enticing target for thieves. Some of the most common ones are palladium and rhodium—which go for around $2,000 per ounce!
TRICKS TO DETER CATALYTIC CONVERTER THIEVES
Here’s how to stop your catalytic converter from being stolen! Although there are no guarantees, these tips will surely scare away the smartest thieves:
- Park in a well-lit area: A thief is a lot less likely to target a car parked in a well-lit area!
- Use a special lock: There are special locks you can purchase that make it much harder for a thief to take your catalytic converter!
- Install a security system: A security system will surely deter thieves and make it more difficult for them to steal your peace!
- Get it etched: Some auto shops offer etching services for your catalytic converter to make it less sellable. If it still gets stolen, this identifier can help catch the thief!
SIGNS YOUR CATALYTIC CONVERTER HAS BEEN STOLEN
If somebody does succeed in stealing your most heroic car part, you will probably spot some of these signs before you notice that its usual slot is empty:
- Rattling sounds: Your catalytic converter helps to muffle the sounds coming from your engine. If it’s not there, your car will be noticeably louder than usual!
- Trouble starting: Your catalytic converter helps your engine start by providing it with heat. If it’s gone, your engine could have trouble starting!
- Shaking: Your catalytic converter helps reduce vibrations from your engine. If your car starts shaking more than usual, you may have a thief on your hands!
If you suspect your catalytic converter has been stolen, the first thing you should do is stop driving and take a look… If it’s MIA, the first thing you should do is contact the police to file a report! If it isn’t, it is acting funny and should be taken in for repairs as soon as possible.
TIPS FOR FINDING A TECHNICIAN YOU CAN TRUST
If you do come across the misfortune of a catalytic converter theft, you should get a replacement shortly after. After all, if you let your emissions run amuck, you will muck up the air surrounding your community!
To find a mechanic you can trust to perform a sound replacement at a reasonable cost, follow these tips:
- Get multiple quotes: Don’t just go with the first mechanic you talk to— Get multiple quotes to make sure you get a fair price!
- Check reviews: Ask around and read online reviews to find a reputable catalytic converter mechanic!
- Ask questions: Before you agree to anything, clarify any confusion and pin down their process!
Sometimes, you don’t realize what you’ve got until it’s gone… If your catalytic converter has been stolen, don’t despair—but also don’t let it happen again! Take care of your catalytic converter and it will take care of you too.
Stop into Schulz Garage in Medford, Oregon for the best maintenance and repairs your catalytic converter has ever seen. Then, you’ll have a healthier car and home planet…and an even better reason to deter thieves!